Assad Sharifi , 2017 PhotoJ grad, of Pluralist Media has sent along this news release.
Candlelight Vigil for Slain Afghan Journalists
On Thursday 03, May 3, 2018, at 8 p.m., the Afghan community of professional journalists, media personalities and community members from all walks of life will hold a Candlelight Vigil to commemorate the recent assassinations and killings of Afghan journalists. The march will start at Yonge and College.
On April 26, 2018, Abdul Manan Arghand was assassinated in Kandahar city by unknown assailants. On April 30, 2018 Ahmad Shah, a BBC Pashto reporter was gunned down in Khost City by unknown attackers. On the same day a well-coordinated attack killed nine journalists in the heart of Kabul City. The following list shows their names and the media outlet of their employment.
- Mahram Durani – Azadi Radio
- Ebadullah Hananzai – Azadi Radio
- Yar Mohammed Tokhi – Tolo News
- Ghazi Rasouli – 1 TV
- Nawrouz Ali Rajabi (Khamoosh) – 1 TV
- Shah Marai Faizi – AFP
- Saleem Talash – Mashal TV
- Ali Saleemi – Mashal TV
- Sabawoon Kakar – Azadi Radio
We will also commemorate the slain journalists:
- Reporter Nils Horner, 51, killed in unprecedented execution-style attack in Kabul’s diplomatic district.
- Anja Niedringhaus AP photojournalist killed in the shooting on April 4, 2014. in Afghanistan’s eastern Khost province.
- Zabihullah Tamanna photojournalist and Translator killed in Helmand province on June 5, 2016
- David Gilkey NPR photojournalist killed in Helmand province on June 5, 2016 Helmand Province.