Assad Sharifi , 2017 PhotoJ grad, of Pluralist Media has sent along this news release.
Candlelight Vigil for Slain Afghan Journalists
On Thursday 03, May 3, 2018, at 8 p.m., the Afghan community of professional journalists, media personalities and community members from all walks of life will hold a Candlelight Vigil to commemorate the recent assassinations and killings of Afghan journalists. The march will start at Yonge and College.
On April 26, 2018, Abdul Manan Arghand was assassinated in Kandahar city by unknown assailants. On April 30, 2018 Ahmad Shah, a BBC Pashto reporter was gunned down in Khost City by unknown attackers. On the same day a well-coordinated attack killed nine journalists in the heart of Kabul City. The following list shows their names and the media outlet of their employment.
- Mahram Durani – Azadi Radio
- Ebadullah Hananzai – Azadi Radio
- Yar Mohammed Tokhi – Tolo News
- Ghazi Rasouli – 1 TV
- Nawrouz Ali Rajabi (Khamoosh) – 1 TV
- Shah Marai Faizi – AFP
- Saleem Talash – Mashal TV
- Ali Saleemi – Mashal TV
- Sabawoon Kakar – Azadi Radio
We will also commemorate the slain journalists:
- Reporter Nils Horner, 51, killed in unprecedented execution-style attack in Kabul’s diplomatic district.
- Anja Niedringhaus AP photojournalist killed in the shooting on April 4, 2014. in Afghanistan’s eastern Khost province.
- Zabihullah Tamanna photojournalist and Translator killed in Helmand province on June 5, 2016
- David Gilkey NPR photojournalist killed in Helmand province on June 5, 2016 Helmand Province.
For some reason the gremlins are not allowing me add the winners of the Team multimedia award at NPAC in the main post, so my apologies to those winners and so now you will get your very own post!
Congratulations to Chris Donovan, Andrew Ryan, Vanessa Tignanelli and all of the members of the Loyalist family honoured at the National Pictures of the Year awards held this past weekend in Toronto! For a full list of winners see www.NPAC.ca
Chris Donovan (2017 grad)
PHOTOJOURNALIST OF THE YEAR! … and …
Best Picture of the Year!
Andrew Ryan (2018) Student Portfolio of the Year award winner
Vanessa Tignanelli (2018) / Loyalist College
and the following category winners …
- Chris Donovan / Independent
Feature- sponsored by The Winnipeg Free Press
HM-Annie Sakkab- Bloomberg
- Tyler Anderson / National Post – spot news photo
- Tijana Martin / Lethbridge Herald – sports feature
- Chris Donovan / Independent for CBC – social issue Patricia’s Dolls
- Nick Iwanyshyn / Maclean’s – social issue – Razak Iyal
Portrait / Personality
- Chris Donovan / Independent – Portrait Personality – Damian London HM-Carlos Osorio
Pictorial – sponsored by Canon
- Justin Tang / Independent for The Canadian Press – Pictorial
- Jeff McIntosh / Independent for The Canadian Press
- Ben Nelms / Independent
Picture Story News – sponsored by Leica
- Ian Willms / Boreal Collective – Oil Sands
2. Ian Willms / Boreal Collective – Between Liberties
Picture Story Feature – sponsored by Leica
- Chris Donovan / Independent for CBC – Patricia’s Dolls
2. Chris Donovan / Independent – The Cloud Factory
Picture Story International –
- Chris Donovan / Independent for The New York Times – They Look At Us Different
3. Ian Willms / Boreal Collective – We Shall See
- Anne-Marie Jackson / Toronto Star
- Michelle Berg / Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Team Multi Media-Sponsored by Thomson Reuters
Just a friendly reminder that the Loyalist College Open House that was postponed due to the ice storm two weeks ago is on tomorrow April 28th from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.!
This last edition of the year features work of first-year photojournalism students, while second-year students are undertaking their field placements.
To download the edition, use this link –> April25photojournalismPioneer
Posted in Uncategorized
Tagged arm wrestling, barber, Belleville Public Library, Belleville Senators, canadian military, collectors, doug ford, healer, hockey, kate ann follwell, Loyalist College, parkhurst transportation, Photojournalism, protesters, quinte christian high school, sheep farmer, Stephen Licence, war bride
BELLEVILLE, Ont. (12/04/2018) — The Loyalist College family wear hockey jerseys in support of the Humboldt Broncos, who suffered the loss of 16 team members in a devastating vehicle collision on 6 Apr in rural Saskatchewan. Photo by Frank Moses, Loyalist College